Service Learning OverviewA key emphasis of the Westmark education is on the development of responsible members of society who contribute their time, energies, and talents to improving the quality of life in our school, community, nation, and world. Service to our community helps develop our students’ realization of their ability to act as contributing and positive members of their community, both within and outside of Westmark.
Goals of the Service Learning Program
- To shape young adults who possess strong personal values and who understand the importance and benefit of helping others.
- To develop leadership and teamwork skills.
- To build relationships with non-profit organizations and the outside community.
- To fine tune unique talents and interests.
- To uphold the principles of community involvement and thoughtful action.
- To learn how to effectively engage with the complex global society.
Service opportunities are age appropriate in breadth and depth. During school hours, each grade level prepares for and learns about their service learning project, performs their service, and debriefs and discusses their experiences. We want to ensure that 100% of our staff and students are involved in service to our Los Angeles community and beyond.