2018-2019 Annual Fund Goal: $1.2 MILLION
Westmark School is widely recognized as one of the leading LD schools for grades 2-12. Our faculty and staff are experts in their areas; our small class size and ratios combined with research-based methodologies and a strength-based approach to learning support our students’ distinct learning styles.
The Annual Fund is a yearly campaign to raise financial support for a wide range of program expenses and initiatives that tuition alone does not cover. Support for Westmark comes from generous parents, grandparents, alumni, friends, foundations and corporations.
All parents, friends, faculty/staff and Board of Trustees of Westmark School are asked to make a gift to the Annual Fund. Westmark boasts 100% participation each of the last four years, and together we can make it five.
With your help we will achieve 100% again this year.
- Safety & Security
- Staff Enrichment / Development
- Student Service Learning, Diversity & Support Programs
- Tuition Assistance
ArtsFor many of our students, the Arts provide a forum to express their creativity, develop confidence, and provide an outlet for their extraordinary energy. Funds raised will support the expansion of key art programs:
- Artist in Residence program in dance and movement
- Expanded visual arts program and offerings
- Music electives such as band, keyboard, music theory and music appreciation
AthleticsAthletic programs are essential to our educational mission. They help our students challenge themselves, work as a team and contribute to support our expanded sports programming in the Lower, Middle and Upper Schools. Some areas that the Annual Fund will support are:
- Safety training
- Enhanced equipment and uniforms
- Increased number of coaches and more specialized coaching expertise in each division
- Upgraded access to gym facilities for many of our teams
TechnologyTechnology continues to be a priority for Westmark, and ongoing upgrades, along with access to cutting-edge technology help our students to become independent learners and 21st century citizens.Replace outdated SmartBoards with the latest flat-panel technology in classrooms
- Replace outdated SmartBoardsTM with the latest flat-panel technology in classrooms
- Enhance, replace and upgrade devices, hardware, and software in support of students and faculty as needed
Safety & SecurityWe continue to enhance and upgrade important security features on the Westmark campus. A key initiative this year:
- Security Entry Gatehouse. Mario greets every visitor at Westmark and a more permanent entrance gate structure needs to be built for him to check guests in and out on campus.
Staff Enrichment / Development
Well-trained teachers are critical to the success of every student and to the progress of Westmark. More than any other area, this is where a monetary investment directly translates into student growth. Professional development at Westmark is particularly unique as teachers are given specialized training and education to support the LD learner, such as:
These tools and techniques in LD learning further our understanding of research-based methodologies that make our teachers both specialists and leaders in their content areas.
Student Service Learning, Diversity & Support Programs
Service Learning programs offer our students an opportunity to learn more about their community and the world. These opportunities allow students to foster understanding and acceptance of varying perspectives, cultures, religions, and ethnicities as well as discover ways they can serve and assist others. In addition, we offer opportunities for students to participate in diversity programs and have access to social/emotional/developmental support systems. This programming is available in every division and we will continue structuring service opportunities for all students including programs such as:
- Project Eye-to-Eye
- Mentoring programs
- Student Diversity Leadership Conference
- WestLAB Career Program
- Student Exchanges with other LD schools and local Diversity Chapters
Tuition AssistanceWe continue to experience a rise in the number of applications for financial support. Westmark provides tuition assistance to families from diverse socio-economic backgrounds and their children to attend school here. A priority has been set to increase the amount of financial assistance, which will allow us to continue to extend more assistance to those who would not otherwise be able to afford the cost of a private education.