- Quick Community Service Ideas
- Skill-based Volunteer Ideas
- One day Volunteer Events
- Weekly Volunteer Opportunities
- Group Volunteer Work
- Homeless & Poverty
- Donate old clothes or household goods that are still in good condition and donate them to your local Goodwill or Woman's shelter.
- Donate children’s books, novels, and other reading materials to shelters, libraries, and schools.
- Write a letter to your Congressman about an issue that you care about.
- Collect unused makeup and perfume to any women’s shelter or center for abused women.
- The next time you go grocery shopping, pick up some non-perishables to donate to your local food bank.
- Become a volunteer tutor. If you excel in a particular subject, share that knowledge with other teens that are struggling. Volunteer your services online non-profit or let your teachers know that you’re available to other students.
- Got a big vocabulary and a little time to kill? Test your skill on freerice.com. They’ll donate 10 grains of rice through the World Food Programme for every answer you get right.
- Volunteer to give music lessons to people in your community
- Participate in a clean up of a beach, riverbed or local park.
- Organize a car wash and donate the profits to any charity of your choice.
- Students Run LA
Offer your help taking registrations, handing out water bottles, cleaning up after, or other administrative tasks for a run. It might not feel as glamorous, but this volunteer work is actually really helpful! To sign up contact Paul at
(818)654-3360 or by email at email@example.com
Think you’re too old to collect candy, but still want to dress up? Collect money for a charitable organization like UNICEF, and no one will judge you. http://support.unicef.org/ers
- Tree People
A great opportunity for team building, while doing something beneficial for the environment. Contact Mollie Stephans at (818) 623-4879 or firstname.lastname@example.org. 12601 Mulholand Dr., Beverly Hills, CA 90210 https://www.treepeople.org/volunteer/group
- Friends & Helpers Foundation
This is a great way to put a smile on the faces of families in need during the Holiday Season. For more info call (818) 757-1905 or email email@example.com 15260 Ventura Blvd. Suite 2100 Sherman Oaks, CA 91403 http://www.friendsandhelpers.org
- One Voice
Help sort and package food baskets for families in need this holiday Season. For more info. Call (310) 458-9961. They are located at 1228 15th Street Suite C Santa Monica, CA 90404 http://onevoice-la.org/volunteer/
- Operation Gratitude
Send a care package to deployed troops, veterans, or wounded soldiers. Write a thank-you letter and include some food (no homemade or canned food allowed). For more info call (800) 651-8031 or email firstname.lastname@example.org (http://www.operationgratitude.com/)
- Support Our Troops
Donate supplies for care packages and include a thank-you letter to Deployed Soldiers. Contact (877) 879-8882 P.O Box 70 Daytona Beach, FL 32115 https://www.supportourtroops.org/our-programs
- Offer to Nanny or Babysit for free to a family in need.
- Become a mentor for a younger child.
- Bring new or lightly used toys to a children’s hospital. (Children’s Hospital LA, St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital)
- Coach a sport you love, to a youth team.
- Give free music lessons to children in Schools
- Babysit children during a WPA meeting.
- Organize a reading hour for children at a local school or library.
- Milk and Bookies
Spread the love of reading to those who can’t afford books of their own. For more info call (323) 863-5742 or email email@example.com 144815th St. Suite #202 Santa Monica, CA 90404. http://www.milkandbookies.org/
- My Stuff Bags Foundation
Help fill duffels, make blankets, re-package special large donations or make toiletry bags for children who have been pulled out of their homes. Contact Emily Appleby at (818) 865-3860 5347 Sterling Center Drive, Westlake Village, CA 91361 or visit http://www.mystuffbags.org/how-to-help/donate-time/ for more info.
- Arts For Kids
Offering kids after school arts programs. Contact Amy Knutson at (310) 586-1017. 1728 Abbot Kinney Blvd., #101, Venice CA 9029
- Offer to rake leaves, shovel the walk, or do housework for an elderly neighbor.
- Visit a retirement home and spend time doing fun activities with the elderly who lack immediate family.
- Make Birthday cards for the Elderly.
- Ask residents at a Retirement home to tell you about their lives.
- Volunteer with animals. Check out your local rescue league, ASPCA chapter, or animal shelter to learn how. (Check age requirement).
- Offer to Dog-sit/Walk someone’s dog for free.
- Clean up a local dog park.
- Build and set up a birdhouse.
- Train your pet to be a therapy animal and bring it to hospitals or nursing homes
- Ace of Hearts
Volunteers engage their passion for animals into much assistance.
- Kitten Rescue
914 Westwood Blvd., Suite 583
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Various Mobile Locations
Los Angeles, CA 90036
4470 W. Sunset Blvd., Suite 482
Los Angeles, CA 90027
- Volunteer on Thanksgiving Day with your whole family. Serve a meal, in your home or in a local shelter, to someone who needs it.
- Donate blankets to a Homeless Shelter
- Prepare a home-cooked meal for the residents of a nearby homeless shelter
- Make first aid kits for homeless shelters
- Volunteer at a Soup Kitchen
- Bake a batch of cookies or loaf of bread and deliver it to a soup kitchen.