Diversity and inclusiveness are at the heart of Westmark's mission. Our students learn differently, our teachers teach differently, and as a result, all of our students have equal access to our curriculum and programs.
The results from the recent NAIS Assessment of Inclusivity and Multiculturalism (AIM)
self-study has guided our efforts to continue our growth and improvements in building and sustaining a community where diversity and Inclusivity are welcomed,
celebrated and supported.
- An on-campus Student Diversity Club was founded
- Four students attended the NAIS Student Diversity and Leadership Conference
- Several students attended Wildwood's Multicultural Symposium
- Westmark students presented at Southern California People of Color in Independent Schools (SoCal POSIS) Student Voices
- Several Middle and Upper School assemblies were dedicated to diversity and inclusion and featured guest speakers, workshops and Diversity Club peer presentations
- The Diversity Club petitioned administration for a gender neutral bathroom. And got it!
FACULTY, STAFF AND ADMINISTRATION
- Time has been dedicated weekly during each Thursday's Professional Development session to understanding diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion
- One full day of Professional Development was dedicated to identifying and navigating exclusionary behavior
- The school joined relevant organizations including the Independent School Alliance and Southern California People of Color in Independent Schools (SoCal POSIS)
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
- Created more inclusionary policies in the areas of financial aid, student life, admissions and hiring practices